Sunday, February 22, 2009

Immigration

Yes, I know as a journalist it is far better to give both sides while you yourself staying neutral. This way the audience can side for themselves. But, there are a few matters that I just cannot stay neutral on. Yes, I can see both sides, but I still have a stronger opinion towards one then that of the other.

This little outburst actually came about when I was watching this amazing film, "Crossing Over" last night. The films deals with various immigration situations, most seem unfair, even though according to our country's laws, they are more then legal.

Now, before proceeding, I am going to talk about one of the stories in this film, so if you would rather not know anything about the movie, please stop reading...Spoiler Alert.

I think the biggest problem I have is splitting up families. In the film there is this one synopsis of a young Islam girl being deported for fear of her involvement with terrorism. Now, yes, that sounds bad, but in the context of the film, she was not siding on the side of terrorism, she was simply stating that she understood why they did it. Heck, even I can understand why they did it. Does this mean I should be deported? Do I believe that the terrorist acts are the way to go? OF COURSE NOT! But I still can see where those people are coming from. They are still human beings. They fear, love, and want the same basic things we all do.

Anyway, getting back to this story, in the film, this girl's younger brother and sister were born in the country, thus they can stay, but her parents must be deported as well. Unless, of course, the parents want to split up. Then one may stay in the country, while the other must leave with the daughter. Okay, first of all, no one should condone breaking up families. I'm sorry, but this is inhumane and just plain cruel. I cannot even imagine what it must be like to say goodbye to one parent, your brother and sister, and leave the only place you know to be sent away to a foreign land.

I was so angry for this poor girl. Yes, I know it was only a move, but these things must happen. In fact, I intend to heavily research this after this writing. And while I was watching these tragic end moments, I couldn't help but think that now this girl just may turn to terrorism, because she herself was not being properly heard. I mean, of course we all hope this isn't the case, but it sure gives quite a reason for her to.

It all goes back to fear. This is why we cannot have peace in our world. Fear causes violence. And once violence is started it is almost impossible to stop. One side will have to be the bigger person, and say enough is enough, lay down their weapons, and truly listen to what the other has to say. Without judgement. This is only the beggining to how we can all have a peaceful and just world.

I would like to thank you all for letting me rant. Sometimes my politic beliefs become my passion and I just need to get them out.

I hope you all have a fabulous day!

Cheers! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment